Sunday, January 31, 2016

Another "Warm" Month

It's the end of January and, like December, it's been historically warm. We've had a few snowstorms, none more than a few inches. The total this season has probably been somewhere in the 12" to 16" range with the storms far enough apart that the accumulation has been minimal.

It was 50° today and the next couple of days are supposed to be warmer and rainy. Today pretty much took care of the little bit of snow that was remaining. I'm sure that we'll regret complaining (and our neighbors would think that we're crazy) but we were really hoping to experience a New England winter.

Using the blower is easier than shoveling but the value of doing either is debatable. A side note: We attended the meeting about making our area a National Historic District and that cottage across the street, 'Rose Cottage" will be the oldest structure in the district - 1797.







Maya (not in picture) decided that she wanted to skate one afternoon. Briar put on her skates and Gus' skates fit me. Thought I was going to die. I skated once, in 1969, and thought that it would be like riding a bike. Nope! I didn't dare move my feet. I flapped my wings until I completed a large circle and returned to the side. Never again.

Briar did a little better.

And Maya started cautiously and got better and better.

We had a bit more snow that night and, the next day, went sledding at Briar and Gus' house.




Niko wanted to skate that afternoon. That's our house in the background to the right of all of the white houses.



All of the ponds in the area have frozen over and ice fishing season is in full swing on many. Yesterday, we wen for a walk on Long Pond (that's where I went fishing from Gus' canoe in the summertime).



-JC-

No comments:

Post a Comment